We’ve updated the Design Challenges experience! See what’s new
Spoonflower + Memphis Brooks Museum of Art presentAfrican Art Memphis Brooks Museum of Art Design ChallengeShop designs
About this design:
Shop More Designs
We are so pleased to partner with the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art for this week’s design challenge. Inspired by their February exhibit, designers will be challenged to create a repeating design highlighting the dynamic traditions of bold and colorful patterns found in African dress. Find inspiration from the diverse design culture of Africa ranging from Malian mudcloth to Nigerian batik.
The Spoonflower community is a melting pot of designers from all over the world and during January’s design challenge, we’ll be celebrating this designer diversity with a sampler of five international inspired themes. We’ll be starting our adventure in Africa with a challenge celebrating the newest exhibit at the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art and ending our excursion in Turkey honoring a handwoven form of artistic expression. Pack your tool box because it’s time for a design adventure!
- Entries close . View the full timeline below.
- Designs will be viewed as a Fabric on the voting ballot. Acceptable repeat options for this challenge are Basic, Half-Drop, Half-Brick, Mirror, Center.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- The popular vote determines the top 10 winning designs. Voters include Spoonflower artists and customers as well as the public.
- The top 10 designs receive prizes or benefits. View the full prize list below.
- View the full Terms & Conditions for this challenge.
Our partner: Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
Founded in 1916 and located in historic Overton Park, Memphis Brooks Museum of Art is home to Tennessee’s oldest and largest major collection of world art. More than 10,000 works make up the Brooks Museum’s permanent collection, including works from ancient Greece, Rome and the Americas; Renaissance masterpieces from Italy; English portraiture; American painting and decorative arts; contemporary art; and a survey of African art. The Brooks Museum enriches the lives of our diverse community through the museum's expanding collection, varied exhibitions, and dynamic programs that reflect the art of world cultures from antiquity to the present.Memphis Brooks Museum of Art