Did you know the Japanese resist-dyeing technique of shibori dates all the way back to the 8th century? In this fiber art process, fabric is folded, stitched, twisted and then submerged into an indigo dye bath. The distinct blue patterns are unique to each piece of dyed fabric and we can’t wait to see the one-of-a-kind shibori-inspired designs in this week’s challenge.
For even more inspiration, see how Spoonflower designer The Playful Crow is taking shibori from dyed to digital or consider using shibori-inspired digital brushes in programs like Illustrator and Photoshop.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The rest of the Top 78
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed at 150 DPI in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- See our blog page for even more Design Challenge details and a list of previous themes.
- 04/05/2019: Submissions open
- 05/07/2019: Submissions close at 3pm EDT
- 05/09/2019: Public voting opens
- 05/14/2019: Public voting ends at 3pm EDT to determine top 25 entries
- 05/16/2019: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Winners to be announced May 30
Paint By NumbersSee the Challenge
Submissions close May 28 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins May 30
Retro PostcardsSee the Challenge
Submissions close June 4 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins June 6
Animal Portrait Tea TowelsSee the Challenge
Submissions close June 11 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins June 13
Bird’s-Eye ViewSee the Challenge
Submissions close June 18 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins June 20