Take a moment to appreciate the beauty of the buzzing, fluttering and crawling bugs around your backyards. These crawling critters have countless unique characteristics and offer endless details to explore through a retro lens.
Get inspired by insect attributes such as jewel-like bodies, colorful exo-skeletons and interesting antennae along with scientific adaptation like the patterns on a butterfly’s wings. If you live in the eastern part of the United States, you might specifically be fascinated by the arrival of cicada Brood X this summer.
After you select your favorite invertebrate, add a retro spin! Inject some personality to your repeating pattern with a vintage color scheme or design style.
Pro Tip: Head over to the blog for some inspiration on how to give your drawings a retro feel!
Please visit the blog to learn more about Spoonflower’s Design Challenge rules and moderation process.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The rest of the Top 68
Retro Bugs Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, July 20, 2021 at 3 PM ET.
- Designs will be previewed in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- 06/04/2021: Submissions open
- 07/20/2021: Submissions close at 3pm EDT
- 07/22/2021: Public voting opens
- 07/27/2021: Public voting ends at 3pm EDT
- 07/29/2021: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Pastel HalloweenVote Now
Winners to be announced August 5
PhantasmagoriaSee the Challenge
Submissions close August 3 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins August 5
Nocturnal AnimalsSee the Challenge
Submissions close August 10 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins August 12
Neutral Geometric WallpaperSee the Challenge
Submissions close August 17 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins August 19