For this week’s wallpaper challenge, we’re looking to our design community to spin this classic style upside down to create a modern and imaginative approach to toile one would only find at Spoonflower. Your scene could portray anything from a faraway galaxy to a contemporary day at the beach and more.
Traditionally, Toile de Jouy, or toile, refers to a decorative pattern that depicts intricate scenes one might discover in rural living. From a field of blooming flowers to a band of children off on an adventure, these two-toned illustrated designs have maintained popularity across textiles and wallpaper alike.
Designer Tip: Wallpaper patterns make the biggest impact when design elements are 12”-24” and set as a basic repeat.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
Off the Wall Toile Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed as a roll of Spoonflower wallpaper on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- 04/03/2020: Submissions open
- 05/19/2020: Submissions close at 3pm EDT
- 05/21/2020: Public voting opens
- 05/26/2020: Public voting ends at 3pm EDT to determine top 25 entries
- 05/28/2020: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Off the Wall ToileSee the Challenge
Winners to be announced May 28
Midsummer FestivalSee the Challenge
Voting begins May 28
Canadian WildlifeSee the Challenge
Submissions close June 2 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins June 4
Quiet SpacesSee the Challenge
Submissions close June 9 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins June 11
Large BirdsSee the Challenge
Submissions close June 16 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins June 18