Bold colors, geometric patterns and symbols that tell a story are three design traits you’ll notice when exploring the rich culture of Turkish kilim rugs. Traditionally, a loom, beating comb, shuttle and a pair of scissors might be what you need to create a kilim rug but for this week’s challenge, use your favorite design tool to create a design that embodies this classic accent piece.
The Spoonflower community is a melting pot of designers from all over the world and during January’s design challenge, we’ll be celebrating this designer diversity with a sampler of five international inspired themes. We’ll be starting our adventure in Africa with a challenge celebrating the newest exhibit at the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art and ending our excursion in Turkey honoring a handwoven form of artistic expression. Pack your tool box because it’s time for a design adventure!
- 1 first place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 25 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The rest of the Top 10
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 3 PM EST.
- Designs will be previewed at 150 DPI in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 25 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- See our blog page for even more Design Challenge details and a list of previous themes.
- 12/08/2017: Submissions open
- 01/23/2018: Submissions close at 3pm EST
- 01/25/2018: Public voting opens
- 01/30/2018: Public voting ends at 3pm EST to determine top 25 entries
- 02/01/2018: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Small-Scale Tools of the TradeVote Now
Winners to be announced August 13
MushroomsSee the Challenge
Submissions close August 11 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins August 13
Climbing Vines WallpaperSee the Challenge
Submissions close August 18 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins August 20
Gothic HalloweenSee the Challenge
Submissions close August 25 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins August 27
Cut-and-Sew Fat Quarter GiftablesSee the Challenge
Submissions close September 1 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins September 3
Maximalist HolidaySee the Challenge
Submissions close September 8 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins September 10