This week we’re excited to announce a partner challenge with our friends at Peppermint Magazine! Peppermint is an Australian quarterly print publication focused on style, sustainability and substance.
We are delighted to announce that Peppermint Magazine has selected Garden Blooms by grace_andersson as the winner of this challenge. This design will be the featured fabric for their May pattern launch!
“While all the designs we reviewed were bloomin’ lovely, and it was so hard to choose just one, we decided to go with Grace’s illustration for its bold and dramatic use of colours and its playful nod to the whimsy of the impressionist art movement. We love the combination and variety of flowers and the rich, textural detail in this submission. We can’t wait to see it on our sewing pattern in our next issue!”
Embracing sewing and DIY as an important part of sustainability, Peppermint regularly releases free sewing patterns that are much-loved amongst the sewing community. To help celebrate the launch of the next free sewing pattern in Peppermint's Sewing School coming this May, we’re teaming up to bring you a Design Challenge that celebrates a trend that both designers and sewists alike have been loving: hand-drawn florals.
Inspired by their passion for the natural world around them, Peppermint knew just the place to look for a challenge theme – nature! For this challenge, we’re asking you to put the petal to the metal and show us your best hand-drawn floral designs. We think flowers equal joy, giving us colorful reminders of the beauty of life. Bonus points for the use of native botanicals (show us what’s endemic to your backyard!) and trending earth tones because at the end of the day, mother (earth) knows best. While we can’t reveal the sewing pattern details just yet, a dramatic -sleeved blouse should be your inspiration for this challenge!
The winning design, hand-selected from the top 50 by Peppermint, will be the featured fabric for May’s pattern launch! Get a peek at how you could be featured with Issue 48’s Bardon Dress!
Please visit the blog to learn more about Spoonflower’s Design Challenge rules and moderation process.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit. The winner will also be the featured fabric for Peppermint Magazine's May pattern launch
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The rest of the Top 64
Peppermint is an Australian magazine focused on style, sustainability and substance. Covering ethical fashion, slow living, DIY, climate action, community and more – Peppermint's mission is to tell the stories of people doing good in the world.Peppermint Magazine
Hand-Drawn Florals Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- 02/05/2021: Submissions open
- 02/23/2021: Submissions close at 3pm EST
- 02/25/2021: Public voting opens
- 03/02/2021: Public voting ends at 3pm EST to determine top 25 entries
- 03/04/2021: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Intergalactic AdventuresVote Now
Winners to be announced April 22
Home on the RangeSee the Challenge
Submissions close April 20 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins April 22
SeashellsSee the Challenge
Submissions close April 27 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins April 29
Embroidery TemplateSee the Challenge
Submissions close May 4 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins May 6
Moody Tropical Flora WallpaperSee the Challenge
Submissions close May 11 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins May 13
Charcuterie BoardsSee the Challenge
Submissions close May 18 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins May 20