The desert southwest has inspired generations of architects, fashion designers and graphic artists to complement its wild spirit. As you create your repeating surface pattern, remember to showcase the spirit of the desert through sleek, colorful and chic motifs.
This week we’ve partnered with Modern Phoenix and Spoonflower maker Sarah Marsom of the Tiny Activist Project to help discover the next generation of modern designers.
Design challenge bonus! This week’s winning design will be the featured fabric for the DIY Pillow Workshop during Modern Phoenix Week.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit, their choice of either a pair of Modern Phoenix home tour tickets or a Modern Phoenix fine art poster and will be the featured fabric for the DIY Pillow Workshop during Modern Phoenix Week.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit and their choice of either a pair of Modern Phoenix home tour tickets or a Modern Phoenix fine art poster.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit their choice of either a pair of Modern Phoenix home tour tickets or a Modern Phoenix fine art poster.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive up to 15% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The internet's leading source of information on midcentury modern design in central Arizona.Modern Phoenix
Desert Modernism Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed at 150 DPI in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the winning design will be chosen by Modern Phoenix from the popularly voted top 25.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- 01/04/2019: Submissions open
- 02/05/2019: Submissions close at 3pm EST
- 02/07/2019: Public voting opens
- 02/12/2019: Public voting ends at 3pm EST to determine top 25 entries
- 02/14/2019: Spoonflower will announce the winner
How to Submit a Design
- Log in to Spoonflower. If you don't have an account, create one here.
- Once logged into your account, upload the design you wish to enter into the challenge.
- Select Desert Modernism from the Challenges Dropdown.
For complete instructions, see the Challenge Terms & Conditions.
How To Vote
Once voting is open for Desert Modernism, you will be able to follow the link below to vote for your favorite designs.
Frequently Asked QuestionsWho can enter?
This contest is open to ALL Spoonflower community members who are 18 years of age as of Tuesday, February 5, 2019. All submitted designs must be the original work of the entrant. Please do not use stock images or base your design on the work of another artist.
How many designs can I enter?
You can enter only ONE DESIGN in this contest. Designs entered in previous Spoonflower contests or public designs previously uploaded to Spoonflower are not eligible.
Can I share my entry on social media and make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace before voting opens?
The spirit of the Design Challenge is to give a creative prompt that inspires designers to create a new design that speaks specifically to the theme we have selected. Spoonflower is seeking an exclusive set of designs, so all designs should be new to Spoonflower. We absolutely encourage sharing your process and finished design on the web and you can make your challenge entry for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace, but to ensure that your work is eligible for the challenge, we ask that it is not an existing design from your public portfolio that has been previously uploaded to Spoonflower.
Who will judge the contest?
All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs. The first place winner will be the fabric design with the most votes.
Who can vote?
Anyone can vote (when voting opens on Thursday, February 7, 2019), but only one set of votes may be submitted per individual. Email addresses will be collected from voters. Duplicate votes are filtered using fraud detection software and not counted toward final totals. Designers will be disqualified for incentivizing or compensating votes.
What if I don't want my design to be purchased by other people?
By participating in this contest, you are granting permission to make your design available to the public for voting and you are granting permission for Spoonflower to make your design for sale only if your design finishes in the top 50.
Am I giving up the copyright of my design by entering it?
You are not giving up ownership of your design, but by entering your design in the contest, you give us the non-exclusive right, should your design finish in the top 50, to make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace per the customary terms of the Spoonflower Marketplace. For any sales generated in the Marketplace, you will receive up to a 15% commission. You will always be credited for your design and you are free to continue to sell it on your own, now and in the future.
Moon Landing with Princess AwesomeVote Now
Winners to be announced January 24
RockabillySee the Challenge
Submissions close January 22 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins January 24
Coral Limited Color PaletteSee the Challenge
Submissions close January 29 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins January 31
Desert ModernismSee the Challenge
Submissions close February 5 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins February 7
PysankySee the Challenge
Submissions close February 12 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins February 14
Bohemian ParadiseSee the Challenge
Submissions close February 19 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins February 21