While traditional color-blocking in the modern art movement was most frequently colored squares, we challenge you to think outside the box block by showcasing your unique take on this colorful concept. Whether it’s a design inspired by the wall art down the street or a nod to the Dutch painter Piet Mondrian, you’re going to want to block off time for this challenge!
This week’s challenge will have you brushing up on your color theory 101! Inspired by bold, complementary colors and defined shapes, we’re celebrating the retro art style that’s been popping up in fashion and homes.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The rest of the Top 75
Color-Blocking Shapes Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed at 150 DPI in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- See our blog page for even more Design Challenge details and a list of previous themes.
- 07/05/2019: Submissions open
- 08/13/2019: Submissions close at 3pm EDT
- 08/15/2019: Public voting opens
- 08/20/2019: Public voting ends at 3pm EDT
- 08/22/2019: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Comeback SpeciesVote Now
Winners to be announced December 9
Palm Springs Mid Century WallpaperSee the Challenge
Submissions close December 7 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins December 9
Trompe loeilSee the Challenge
Submissions close December 14 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins December 16
Adventure Ditsy PrintsSee the Challenge
Submissions close January 4 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins January 6
Adventure Block PrintsSee the Challenge
Submissions close January 11 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins January 13
Lilla Rogers Vintage Canned GoodsSee the Challenge
Submissions close January 18 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins January 20