If you love bold shapes, simple color schemes and a handcrafted look, then this challenge is for you! This week, we’re throwing back to traditional block prints.
Throughout the month of January, you can join Spoonflower and ElloLovely in our Doodle-a-Day Challenge on Instagram surrounding the theme “Adventure.” To make up for all the travel opportunities we may have missed out on recently, we are hoping to add a little adventure into some of our design challenges this month!
This week, we’re throwing back to traditional block prints. These prints are conventionally made with real wooden blocks that have engraved detailing you can transfer to various textiles. It’s like a big stamp!
Whether you take the hand-printed route or something more digital, your design elements should be arranged in a block style. Similar to our Adventure Ditsy Prints design challenge, in this challenge we’re looking for motifs surrounding your favorite travels and adventurous experiences.
Please visit the blog to learn more about Spoonflower’s Design Challenge rules and moderation process.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
Adventure Block Prints Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, January 11, 2021 at 3 PM ET.
- Designs will be previewed in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- 11/05/2021: Submissions open
- 01/11/2022: Submissions close at 3pm EST
- 01/13/2022: Public voting opens
- 01/18/2022: Public voting ends at 3pm EST
- 01/20/2022: Spoonflower will announce the winner
How to Submit a Design
- Log in to Spoonflower. If you don't have an account, create one here.
- Once logged into your account, upload the design you wish to enter into the challenge.
- Select Adventure Block Prints from the Challenges Dropdown.
For complete instructions, see the Challenge Terms & Conditions.
How To Vote
Once voting is open for Adventure Block Prints, you will be able to follow the link below to vote for your favorite designs.
Frequently Asked QuestionsWho can enter?
This contest is open to ALL Spoonflower community members who are 18 years of age as of the contest's deadline for entries. All submitted designs must be the original work of the entrant. Please do not use stock images or base your design on the work of another artist.
How many designs can I enter?
You can enter only ONE DESIGN in this contest. Designs entered in previous Spoonflower contests or public designs previously uploaded to Spoonflower are not eligible.
Can I share my entry on social media and make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace before voting opens?
The spirit of the Design Challenge is to give a creative prompt that inspires designers to create a new design that speaks specifically to the theme we have selected. Spoonflower is seeking an exclusive set of designs, so all designs should be new to Spoonflower. We absolutely encourage sharing your process and finished design on the web and you can make your challenge entry for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace, but to ensure that your work is eligible for the challenge, we ask that it is not an existing design from your public portfolio that has been previously uploaded to Spoonflower.
Who will judge the contest?
All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs. The first place winner will be the fabric design with the most votes.
Who can vote?
Anyone can vote when voting opens, but only one set of votes may be submitted per individual. Email addresses will be collected from voters. Duplicate votes are filtered using fraud detection software and not counted toward final totals. Designers will be disqualified for incentivizing or compensating votes.
What if I don't want my design to be purchased by other people?
By participating in this contest, you are granting permission to make your design available to the public for voting and you are granting permission for Spoonflower to make your design for sale only if your design finishes in the top 50. Setting your design back to private once you have entered it into the challenge will automatically remove your design from the challenge.
Am I giving up the copyright of my design by entering it?
You are not giving up ownership of your design, but by entering your design in the contest, you give us the non-exclusive right, should your design finish in the top 50, to make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace per the customary terms of the Spoonflower Marketplace. For any sales generated in the Marketplace, you will receive up to a 15% commission. You will always be credited for your design and you are free to continue to sell it on your own, now and in the future.
Victorian GreenhouseSee the Challenge
Winners to be announced December 2
Comeback SpeciesSee the Challenge
Voting begins December 2
Palm Springs Mid Century WallpaperSee the Challenge
Submissions close December 7 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins December 9
Trompe loeilSee the Challenge
Submissions close December 14 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins December 16
Adventure Ditsy PrintsSee the Challenge
Submissions close January 4 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins January 6
Adventure Block PrintsSee the Challenge
Submissions close January 11 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins January 13