The 1920s brought about the birth of the Jazz Age, iconic dance moves and the inspiration for this week’s design challenge: Art Deco. This luxurious and modern style of art incorporates streamlined symmetry and geometrics for a classic look. Think big for this week’s Art Deco challenge, because all entries will be previewed on one of Roostery’s newest products, the Wyandotte Duvet Cover.
If “create more art” was one of your New Year’s resolutions, February’s design challenges will be just the thing you need to keep the inspiration flowing. Cuddly creatures, limited color palettes and a challenge inspired by Roostery’s newest product line will kick your resolution into high gear and keep you on track. Sharpen your pencils, charge up those tablets and start those design engines!
- 1 first place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 25 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
Art Deco Large Scale Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 3 PM EST.
- Designs will be previewed as the Wyandotte Duvet Cover on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 25 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- See our blog page for even more Design Challenge details and a list of previous themes.
- 01/05/2018: Submissions open
- 02/27/2018: Submissions close at 3pm EST
- 03/01/2018: Public voting opens
- 03/06/2018: Public voting ends at 3pm EST to determine top 25 entries
- 03/08/2018: Spoonflower will announce the winner
How to Submit a Design
- Log in to Spoonflower. If you don't have an account, create one here.
- Once logged into your account, upload the design you wish to enter into the challenge.
- Select Art Deco Large Scale from the Challenges Dropdown.
For complete instructions, see the Challenge Terms & Conditions.
How To Vote
Once voting is open for Art Deco Large Scale, you will be able to follow the link below to vote for your favorite designs.
Frequently Asked QuestionsWho can enter?
This contest is open to ALL Spoonflower community members who are 18 years of age as of Tuesday, February 27, 2018. All submitted designs must be the original work of the entrant. Please do not use stock images or base your design on the work of another artist.
How many designs can I enter?
You can enter only ONE DESIGN in this contest. Designs entered in previous Spoonflower contests or public designs previously uploaded to Spoonflower are not eligible.
Can I share my entry on social media and make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace before voting opens?
The spirit of the Design Challenge is to give a creative prompt that inspires designers to create a new design that speaks specifically to the theme we have selected. Spoonflower is seeking an exclusive set of designs, so all designs should be new to Spoonflower. We absolutely encourage sharing your process and finished design on the web and you can make your challenge entry for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace, but to ensure that your work is eligible for the challenge, we ask that it is not an existing design from your public portfolio that has been previously uploaded to Spoonflower.
Who will judge the contest?
All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 25 winning designs. The first place winner will be the fabric design with the most votes.
Who can vote?
Anyone can vote (when voting opens on Thursday, March 1, 2018), but only one set of votes may be submitted per individual. Email addresses will be collected from voters. Duplicate votes are filtered using fraud detection software and not counted toward final totals. Designers will be disqualified for incentivizing or compensating votes.
What if I don't want my design to be purchased by other people?
By participating in this contest, you are granting permission to make your design available to the public for voting and you are granting permission for Spoonflower to make your design for sale only if your design finishes in the top 25.
Am I giving up the copyright of my design by entering it?
You are not giving up ownership of your design, but by entering your design in the contest, you give us the non-exclusive right, should your design finish in the top 25, to make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace per the customary terms of the Spoonflower Marketplace. For any sales generated in the Marketplace, you will receive up to a 15% commission. You will always be credited for your design and you are free to continue to sell it on your own, now and in the future.
Tortoise and the HareVote Now
Winners to be announced March 1
Art Deco Large ScaleSee the Challenge
Submissions close February 27 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins March 1
Sisterhood Around the WorldSee the Challenge
Submissions close March 6 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins March 8
MonochromeSee the Challenge
Submissions close March 13 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins March 15
Summer CookoutSee the Challenge
Submissions close March 20 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins March 22
Modern FarmhouseSee the Challenge
Submissions close March 27 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins March 29