For this challenge, you won’t need your loom, but you will need to utilize your artistic tools to replicate a traditional damask pattern with your own unique, contemporary direction. Whether you pair damask's distinctive flowers with items from a beloved hobby like knitting or skateboarding or you employ bright and unexpected colors to a more classic composition, we can't wait to see your design.
While technically a weaving technique and not a pattern, damask is commonly associated with elaborately scrolled motifs featuring symmetrical and structured florals and other natural elements. The technique dates back to the Middle Ages and is still a popular choice for wallpaper, curtains, and other home decor.
Don't forget to check out our top tips for designing large scale wallpaper.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The rest of the Top 64
Reimagined Damask Wallpaper Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed on a roll of Spoonflower wallpaper on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- 12/04/2020: Submissions open
- 01/19/2021: Submissions close at 3pm EST
- 01/21/2021: Public voting opens
- 01/26/2021: Public voting ends at 3pm EST to determine top 25 entries
- 01/28/2021: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Hand-Drawn FloralsVote Now
Winners to be announced March 4
RococoSee the Challenge
Submissions close March 2 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins March 4
BoardsportsSee the Challenge
Submissions close March 9 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins March 11
CryptozoologySee the Challenge
Submissions close March 16 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins March 18