This week we’re focusing on the intricate details found on Pysanky, one of the many styles of Ukrainian eggs. Pysanka comes from the verb pysaty, which means “to write”, and unlike eggs you might dye around Easter, Pysanky come to life as artists decorate the eggs with a wax-resist method. The end result is a beautiful batik design.
As you create your pysanka inspired repeating pattern, remember to take cues from the traditional design elements you’ll find on these beauties: folk motifs, geometric patterns and intricate line work.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The rest of the Top 60
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed at 150 DPI in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- See our blog page for even more Design Challenge details and a list of previous themes.
- 01/04/2019: Submissions open
- 02/12/2019: Submissions close at 3pm EST
- 02/14/2019: Public voting opens
- 02/19/2019: Public voting ends at 3pm EST to determine top 25 entries
- 02/21/2019: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Winter FloraVote Now
Winners to be announced September 26
2020 Tea Towel CalendarSee the Challenge
Submissions close September 24 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins September 26
Hand-Lettered Tea TowelSee the Challenge
Submissions close October 1 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins October 3
Folk Art Tea TowelSee the Challenge
Submissions close October 8 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins October 10
Zodiac Tea TowelSee the Challenge
Submissions close October 15 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins October 17
Hometown Tea TowelSee the Challenge
Submissions close October 22 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins October 24