For this week’s wallpaper challenge, we’re looking to our design community to spin this classic style upside down to create a modern and imaginative approach to toile one would only find at Spoonflower. Your scene could portray anything from a faraway galaxy to a contemporary day at the beach and more.
Traditionally, Toile de Jouy, or toile, refers to a decorative pattern that depicts intricate scenes one might discover in rural living. From a field of blooming flowers to a band of children off on an adventure, these two-toned illustrated designs have maintained popularity across textiles and wallpaper alike.
Designer Tip: Wallpaper patterns make the biggest impact when design elements are 12”-24” and set as a basic repeat.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The rest of the Top 69
Off the Wall Toile Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed as a roll of Spoonflower wallpaper on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- 04/03/2020: Submissions open
- 05/19/2020: Submissions close at 3pm EDT
- 05/21/2020: Public voting opens
- 05/26/2020: Public voting ends at 3pm EDT
- 05/28/2020: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Vegetable & Herb GardensSee the Challenge
Winners to be announced June 24
Take a HikeSee the Challenge
Submissions close June 22 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins June 24
GnomesSee the Challenge
Submissions close June 29 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins July 1
Stone FruitSee the Challenge
Submissions close July 6 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins July 8
Seek and Find PlaymatsSee the Challenge
Submissions close July 13 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins July 15
Retro BugsSee the Challenge
Submissions close July 20 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins July 22