During this week’s challenge, create your own chinoiserie design featuring the elaborate and intricate elements that are hallmarks of this traditional style.
Chinoiserie, meaning “Chinese-like”, is a Western movement interpreting popular Chinese artistic styles. Traditionally found in the home as designs on wallpaper, jars, vases and tea sets in the 18th century, the iconic blue and white patterns feature motifs of dragons, nature scenes, pagodas and foo dogs are making a comeback.
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 50 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The rest of the Top 10
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed at 150 DPI in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 50 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- See our blog page for even more Design Challenge details and a list of previous themes.
- 09/07/2018: Submissions open
- 10/30/2018: Submissions close at 3pm EDT
- 11/01/2018: Public voting opens
- 11/06/2018: Public voting ends at 3pm EST to determine top 25 entries
- 11/08/2018: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Animal PrintsSee the Challenge
Winners to be announced January 17
Moon Landing with Princess AwesomeSee the Challenge
Voting begins January 17
RockabillySee the Challenge
Submissions close January 22 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins January 24
Coral Limited Color PaletteSee the Challenge
Submissions close January 29 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins January 31
Desert ModernismSee the Challenge
Submissions close February 5 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins February 7
PysankySee the Challenge
Submissions close February 12 at 3 p.m. EST,
Voting begins February 14