We’re packing our swimsuits, putting on the sunblock and saying Aloha to our friends in Hawaii for this month’s weekly design challenges! Throughout the entire month of June, enjoy design themes inspired by the serene surroundings of our design challenge partners, Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort. We are beyond excited to announce that with the generous support of the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, the grand prize winner will receive (2) five night stays (one for promotional use and one for vacation) at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and $1,000 towards your airfare! That’s right: your design challenge entry could lead you to the beautiful white sand beaches of Waikiki, where your only worry will be deciding whether you enjoy your tiki drink with or without a paper umbrella. Before you start packing, it’s time to start designing! Read on to learn all about our Hawaiian inspired themes.
The rest of the Top 10
Rainbow Tower on the Beach Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed at 150 DPI in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 25 winning designs. The first place winner will be chosen by Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort from the popularly-voted top 25 designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- See our blog page for even more Design Challenge details and a list of previous themes.
- 05/12/2017: Submissions open
- 05/30/2017: Submissions close at 3pm EDT
- 06/01/2017: Public voting opens
- 06/06/2017: Public voting ends at 3pm EDT to determine top 25 entries
- 06/08/2017: Spoonflower will announce the winner
- 1 first place winner each week (4 total, 1 per theme), chosen from the top 25 by Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, will be have their winning design manufactured as shirts for employees, in-lobby decorations, shirts for sale in the gift shop, and assorted other sundries and accessories. Winners will receive 10% commission for each yard of fabric purchased to manufacture these, along with a $200 Spoonflower credit. In addition, the grand prize winner will receive (2) 5-night stays at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort - (1) for promotional use (PR) and (1) for vacation. Spoonflower will award each grand prize winner $1,000 toward airfare for their PR stay.
- 2nd place (4 total, 1 per theme) winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place (4 total, 1 per theme) will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 25 popularly-voted designs from each theme (100 total, 25 per theme) will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
How to Submit a Design
- Log in to Spoonflower. If you don't have an account, create one here.
- Once logged into your account, upload the design you wish to enter into the challenge.
- Select Rainbow Tower on the Beach Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort from the Challenges Dropdown.
For complete instructions, see the Challenge Terms & Conditions.
How To Vote
Voting for Rainbow Tower on the Beach Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort has closed. Check out our current challenge!
Frequently Asked Questions
This contest is open to ALL Spoonflower community members who are 18 years of age as of May 30, 2017. All submitted designs must be the original work of the entrant. Please do not use stock images or base your design on the work of another artist.
How many designs can I enter?
You can enter only ONE DESIGN in this contest. Designs entered in previous Spoonflower contests or public designs previously uploaded to Spoonflower are not eligible.
Can I share my entry on social media and make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace before voting opens?
The spirit of the Design Challenge is to give a creative prompt that inspires designers to create a new design that speaks specifically to the theme we have selected. Spoonflower is seeking an exclusive set of designs, so all designs should be new to Spoonflower. We absolutely encourage sharing your process and finished design on the web and you can make your challenge entry for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace, but to ensure that your work is eligible for the challenge, we ask that it is not an existing design from your public portfolio that has been previously uploaded to Spoonflower.
Who will judge the contest?
All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 25 winning designs. The first place winner will be the fabric design chosen by Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort.
Who can vote?
Anyone can vote (when voting opens on June 1, 2017), but only one set of votes may be submitted per individual. Email addresses will be collected from voters. Duplicate votes are filtered using fraud detection software and not counted toward final totals. Designers will be disqualified for incentivizing or compensating votes.
What if I don't want my design to be purchased by other people?
By participating in this contest, you are granting permission to make your design available to the public for voting and you are granting permission for Spoonflower to make your design for sale only if your design finishes in the top 25.
Am I giving up the copyright of my design by entering it?
You are not giving up ownership of your design, but by entering your design in the contest, you give us the non-exclusive right, should your design finish in the top 25, to make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace per the customary terms of the Spoonflower Marketplace. For any sales generated in the Marketplace, you will receive up to a 15% commission. You will always be credited for your design and you are free to continue to sell it on your own, now and in the future.
Submissions close August 1 at 3 p.m. EDT, Voting begins August 3
Stock up on your favorite car snacks, turn on the tunes and get our your maps because it’s time for one last summer road-trip! Create a design inspired by the open roads. Whether you’re venturing through a new city or drafting the perfect treasure map, show us how you’re inspired by this navigation tool. Hand illustrating your map is not required but do your best to create an illustrated style. More Details
Swedish Folk Art
Submissions close August 8 at 3 p.m. EDT, Voting begins August 10
For this week’s challenge, we’re letting our community choose. In July, we received over 250 challenge themes submitted via social media and took to the blog for a round of voting to find this week’s community chosen theme : Swedish Folk Art. Inspired by fables and allegories and depicted through repeating geometric shapes, this type of art was created to bring pleasure to everyday tasks. More Details
Submissions close August 15 at 3 p.m. EDT, Voting begins August 17
Channel your inner flower child this week to create a geometric, eye-catching, and bold design inspired by a lifestyle full of adventure! Just like the travelers way of life, let your artistic vision run free for this week’s challenge. More Details
Submissions close August 22 at 3 p.m. EDT, Voting begins August 24
The Memphis style was characterized by ephemeral design featuring colorful decoration and asymmetrical shapes. While not loved by many when it was first introduced in 1980, it quickly grew in popularity during the ‘90s. Squiggly lines, graphic patterns, bold colors are just a few ways to create the signature Memphis style. Show us how you interpret this bold style with a Memphis inspired design. More Details