For this week’s challenge we’re heading to the race tracks with the party planning experts at Black Twine. A celebratory weekend at the track wouldn’t be complete without iconic cocktails like mint juleps, larger-than-life hats, roses and of course, horses! Using your favorite medium of choice, we challenge you to create a repeating design incorporating what you’d see from this equestrian sport.
From a challenge inspired by International Women’s Day on March 8 to a prompt that will have you dreaming up your next fixer upper, we think this month’s design challenge themes will spark your creativity (and maybe even your taste buds!). If you’ve been trying to design more in 2018, why not set a goal of entering all four challenges this month? Can’t commit to all four weeks? That’s OK! Our monthly challenges are designed to encourage your creativity in a fun way that works with your busy schedule!
- 1st place winner will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit and will be featured in the Black Twine Off to the Horse Races Party Blueprint.
- 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 25 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
Party Planning for the Modern Host
Black Twine is a modern entertaining platform that provides visually inspiring party content, planning tools and commerce through a premium community of party professionals.Black Twine
Off to the Horse Races Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 3 PM EST.
- Designs will be previewed at 150 DPI in a small, Roostery Malay round (70” round) tablecloth on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 25 winning designs. Black Twine will choose the first place winner from the popularly-voted top 25.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- See our blog page for even more Design Challenge details and a list of previous themes.
- 02/27/2018: Submissions open
- 03/13/2018: Submissions close at 3pm EDT
- 03/15/2018: Public voting opens
- 03/20/2018: Public voting ends at 3pm EDT to determine top 25 entries
- 03/22/2018: Spoonflower will announce the winner
How to Submit a Design
- Log in to Spoonflower. If you don't have an account, create one here.
- Once logged into your account, upload the design you wish to enter into the challenge.
- Select Off to the Horse Races from the Challenges Dropdown.
For complete instructions, see the Challenge Terms & Conditions.
Voting is Open
Vote for your favorite Horse Racing designs!Vote for Designs See Upcoming Challenges
Frequently Asked QuestionsWho can enter?
This contest is open to ALL Spoonflower community members who are 18 years of age as of Tuesday, March 13, 2018. All submitted designs must be the original work of the entrant. Please do not use stock images or base your design on the work of another artist.
How many designs can I enter?
You can enter only ONE DESIGN in this contest. Designs entered in previous Spoonflower contests or public designs previously uploaded to Spoonflower are not eligible.
Can I share my entry on social media and make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace before voting opens?
The spirit of the Design Challenge is to give a creative prompt that inspires designers to create a new design that speaks specifically to the theme we have selected. Spoonflower is seeking an exclusive set of designs, so all designs should be new to Spoonflower. We absolutely encourage sharing your process and finished design on the web and you can make your challenge entry for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace, but to ensure that your work is eligible for the challenge, we ask that it is not an existing design from your public portfolio that has been previously uploaded to Spoonflower.
Who will judge the contest?
All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 25 winning designs. The first place winner will be chosen by Black Twine from the popularly-voted top 25.
Who can vote?
Anyone can vote (when voting opens on Thursday, March 15, 2018), but only one set of votes may be submitted per individual. Email addresses will be collected from voters. Duplicate votes are filtered using fraud detection software and not counted toward final totals. Designers will be disqualified for incentivizing or compensating votes.
What if I don't want my design to be purchased by other people?
By participating in this contest, you are granting permission to make your design available to the public for voting and you are granting permission for Spoonflower to make your design for sale only if your design finishes in the top 25.
Am I giving up the copyright of my design by entering it?
You are not giving up ownership of your design, but by entering your design in the contest, you give us the non-exclusive right, should your design finish in the top 25, to make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace per the customary terms of the Spoonflower Marketplace. For any sales generated in the Marketplace, you will receive up to a 15% commission. You will always be credited for your design and you are free to continue to sell it on your own, now and in the future.
Off to the Horse RacesVote Now
Winners to be announced March 22
MonochromeSee the Challenge
Submissions close March 20 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins March 22
Summer CookoutSee the Challenge
Submissions close March 27 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins March 29
Modern FarmhouseSee the Challenge
Submissions close April 3 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins April 5
GardeningSee the Challenge
Submissions close April 10 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins April 12
GeologySee the Challenge
Submissions close April 17 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins April 19
Endangered SpeciesSee the Challenge
Submissions close April 24 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins April 26
CyclingSee the Challenge
Submissions close May 1 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins May 3