The Memphis style was characterized by ephemeral design featuring colorful decoration and asymmetrical shapes. While not loved by many when it was first introduced in 1980, it quickly grew in popularity during the ‘90s. Squiggly lines, graphic patterns, bold colors are just a few ways to create the signature Memphis style. Show us how you interpret this bold style with a Memphis inspired design.
For the month of August, we’re heading back to our classic design challenge format...with a little twist halfway through! This month, enjoy themes that will challenge you to think outside the design box, including one theme created and voted on by the Spoonflower community. Keep reading to see which theme won the popular vote and find out what other fun design themes we’ve dreamt up for this month!
- 1 first place winner each week will receive a $200 Spoonflower credit.
- The 2nd place winner will receive a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place winner will receive a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 25 popularly-voted designs from each theme will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive 10% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
The rest of the Top 10
Memphis Style Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed at 150 DPI in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 25 winning designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- See our blog page for even more Design Challenge details and a list of previous themes.
- 07/07/2017: Submissions open
- 08/22/2017: Submissions close at 3pm EDT
- 08/24/2017: Public voting opens
- 08/29/2017: Public voting ends at 3pm EDT to determine top 25 entries
- 08/31/2017: Spoonflower will announce the winner
Winners to be announced March 29
Summer CookoutSee the Challenge
Submissions close March 27 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins March 29
Modern FarmhouseSee the Challenge
Submissions close April 3 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins April 5
GardeningSee the Challenge
Submissions close April 10 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins April 12
GeologySee the Challenge
Submissions close April 17 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins April 19
Endangered SpeciesSee the Challenge
Submissions close April 24 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins April 26
CyclingSee the Challenge
Submissions close May 1 at 3 p.m. EDT,
Voting begins May 3