We hope you're ready to dust off your watercolors because this month's themes are all about using this soft and painterly medium to create motifs and surface patterns. More of a digital kinda person? There are plenty of great watercolor Photoshop brush packs out there to give you a similar effect that are a lot of fun to play with! For the first time ever, all submissions into May's design challenges are automatically entered to win the grand prize full of design goodies worth over $1000!
The rest of the Top 10
Abstract Skillshare Whimsical Watercolor Details
- The deadline for entries is Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 3 PM EDT.
- Designs will be previewed at 150 DPI in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) on the voting ballot.
- All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 25 winning designs. The first place winner will be chosen by Skillshare from the popularly-voted top 25 designs.
- Public designs previously uploaded on Spoonflower.com are not eligible for this contest. Designs do not require printed proofing to enter the contest.
- Moderation will take place at the close of the contest deadline.
- See our blog page for even more Design Challenge details and a list of previous themes.
- 04/12/2017: Submissions open
- 05/02/2017: Submissions close at 3pm EDT
- 05/04/2017: Public voting opens
- 05/09/2017: Public voting ends at 3pm EDT to determine top 25 entries
- 05/11/2017: Spoonflower will announce the winner
- 1 first place winner each week (5 total, 1 per theme), chosen from the top 25 by Skillshare, will receive a 1-year Skillshare Premium subscription (valued at $96) and $200 in Spoonflower credit.
- The 2nd place (5 total, 1 per theme) winner will receive a 6 month Skillshare Premium subscription, along with a $100 Spoonflower credit.
- 3rd place (5 total, 1 per theme) winner will recieve a 6 month Skillshare Premium subscription, along with a $50 Spoonflower credit.
- Remaining top 10 designs will receive a $20 Spoonflower credit. The top 25 popularly-voted designs from each theme (100 total, 25 per theme) will be automatically made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (provided they are a verified seller) where they will receive up to 15% commission on every sale -- no $5 swatch required.
- In addition, all design challenge entries submitted during the Skillshare partner design challenges (04/12/17 - 05/23/17) will be entered into a drawing; one lucky contest entrant will be randomly selected by Spoonflower for the Grand Prize on Tuesday, May 30, 2017. The grand prize winner will receive a 1-year Spoonflower PRO membership (valued at $249), a 1-year Skillshare Premium subscription (valued at $96), one Wacom Intuos Pro Pen and Touch Small Tablet (valued at $218) and a 1-year Adobe Illustrator Creative Cloud subscription (valued at $240). The grand prize winner will be announced Thursday, June 1, 2017.
How to Submit a Design
- Log in to Spoonflower. If you don't have an account, create one here.
- Once logged into your account, upload the design you wish to enter into the challenge.
- Select Abstract Skillshare Whimsical Watercolor from the Challenges Dropdown.
For complete instructions, see the Challenge Terms & Conditions.
How To Vote
Voting for Abstract Skillshare Whimsical Watercolor has closed. Check out our current challenge!
Frequently Asked Questions
This contest is open to ALL Spoonflower community members who are 18 years of age as of May 2, 2017. All submitted designs must be the original work of the entrant. Please do not use stock images or base your design on the work of another artist.
How many designs can I enter?
You can enter only ONE DESIGN in this contest. Designs entered in previous Spoonflower contests or public designs previously uploaded to Spoonflower are not eligible.
Can I share my entry on social media and make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace before voting opens?
The spirit of the Design Challenge is to give a creative prompt that inspires designers to create a new design that speaks specifically to the theme we have selected. Spoonflower is seeking an exclusive set of designs, so all designs should be new to Spoonflower. We absolutely encourage sharing your process and finished design on the web and you can make your challenge entry for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace, but to ensure that your work is eligible for the challenge, we ask that it is not an existing design from your public portfolio that has been previously uploaded to Spoonflower.
Who will judge the contest?
All designs will be eligible for public voting, and the popular vote determines the top 25 winning designs. The first place winner will be the fabric design chosen by Skillshare.
Who can vote?
Anyone can vote (when voting opens on May 4, 2017), but only one set of votes may be submitted per individual. Email addresses will be collected from voters. Duplicate votes are filtered using fraud detection software and not counted toward final totals. Designers will be disqualified for incentivizing or compensating votes.
What if I don't want my design to be purchased by other people?
By participating in this contest, you are granting permission to make your design available to the public for voting and you are granting permission for Spoonflower to make your design for sale only if your design finishes in the top 25.
Am I giving up the copyright of my design by entering it?
You are not giving up ownership of your design, but by entering your design in the contest, you give us the non-exclusive right, should your design finish in the top 25, to make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace per the customary terms of the Spoonflower Marketplace. For any sales generated in the Marketplace, you will receive up to a 15% commission. You will always be credited for your design and you are free to continue to sell it on your own, now and in the future.
Cityscapes Skillshare Whimsical Watercolor
Submissions close May 23 at 3 p.m. EDT, Voting begins May 25
We were so inspired by our friend SammyK's Skillshare class about creating motifs inspired by your city, that we knew we had to turn this theme over to our community! “Throw down for your home town” and create a watercolor design inspired by your locale. More Details
Rainbow Tower on the Beach Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Submissions close May 30 at 3 p.m. EDT, Voting begins June 1
Designs in this series will feature beach and lagoon, with additional inspiration from Hilton's iconic Rainbow Tower and famous Diamond Head Crater. Add in some surfboards, palm trees, and/or canoe rides, to round out the best of what Hilton Hawaiian Village has to offer in the way of fun family-friendly outdoor activities. More Details
Mid-Century Modern Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Submissions close June 6 at 3 p.m. EDT, Voting begins June 8
The Hawaiian Village Hotel was built in the 1950s before Conrad Hilton purchased it in 1961. Tiki culture thrived at the resort. There was no Rainbow Tower but there were plenty of thatched roof guest rooms, the lagoon, pink catamarans, palm trees and Waikiki Beach. Entries will be previewed at the fat quarter size: 21″ x 18.” Submissions close June 6, 2017 at 3 p.m. Eastern. More Details
Blue Hawaii Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Submissions close June 13 at 3 p.m. EDT, Voting begins June 15
Hilton Hawaiian Village was the birthplace of many exotic, tropical beverages - Blue Hawaii, Tropical Itch, Hawaiian Cooler, Guava Lada, Hot Buttered Okolehao and Scratch Me Lani are all Harry Yee originals. Think Hawaiian Village tiki cups, hollowed out pineapples, exotic stir sticks or a paper umbrella, and you'll have captured the essence of this thirst quenching design challenge. More Details
Friday Night Fireworks Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Submissions close June 20 at 3 p.m. EDT, Voting begins June 22
Fronting the Rainbow Tower, with the moon in the sky over Diamond Head, the ocean is ablaze with color every Friday night at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort. Capture the Waikiki skyline with Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Rainbow Tower as your focus for this design challenge. Enjoy a seat under the palm trees, grab a Mai Tai, and sit back for a spectacular fireworks display. More Details